Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Toddler Illness

I am going to use this post as a vent.

My daughter is sick- AGAIN. Now I know being sick is part of being a child, especially when said child attends daycare. However, it seems that my child keeps getting ill after others and the other parents are not disclosing their child's illness. Let me start at the beginning...

On the 4th of July Gabs had a 104* fever and had strep throat. I was lamenting to a friend of mine who remarked, oh, so-and-so's child had strep last week... when I mentioned to daycare that Gabs had strep they made a big deal about it, "OH! We are going to have to let parents know that strep is going around now.... *sigh*." I thought to myself, "so-and-so had it first," but I didn't say anything... I just took the shame.

Now Gabs has a sore in her mouth and it came out from a neutral third party that a child at daycare had hand, foot and mouth disease last week.... hmmmmmmm. At pedi yesterday Gabs was confirmed with HFM. AGAIN I do not think daycare knows about these illnesses.

Now the pediatrician assured me that HFM goes through daycares like wildfire and is common during the summer... That made me feel better but I guess what I am most indignant about is at the fact that when I mention that Gabs is sick with whatever, I am made to feel like the crappy mommy who brings all the disease to daycare when I know at least one child routinely has these things before her. The pedi assured me that it's a good idea, and in the best interest of all the children to disclose when my child has a virus or illness, but that it's not necessary and parents are within their right to send sick, contagious children to daycare if they're not running a fever.

Grrrrr so again, I will be crappy mommy and tell daycare, but I tell you what, next time she is sick and I hear that someone at daycare had it the week prior, I may end up calling them out. There's no need that a.) My child needs to be sick because they send a sick child to daycare, and b.) I feel like a shit mom when sitters give me a hard time about her being sick. Grrrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment