Monday, February 28, 2011

Sick Mommy

Since FL I've not been right.
I was so sick that last night with what we thought was food poisoning and then came down with a cold right away that was hard to shake. Once it morphed into bronchitis I had an allergic reaction and just lived through the scariest week of my life.

About 2 weeks ago now, I developed a pretty rough cough and rasp in my chest. I took some OTC medications and broke out in hives. I dealt with the hives for a couple days then decided to go to the Dr. They told me to take Benadryl although I did tell them I've had a reaction to it in the past.... Less than 12 hours later my hands were swollen and I was covered head to toe in itch. Dr prescribed a steroid over the phone which took care of the swelling but not the hives. As I decreased the steroid a few days later, the swelling came back, and was in my face, and making it hard to swallow...

GD took me to the Dr. right away and they sent me straight to a dermatologist (Yes, a dermatologist, I think it should've been an allergist but whatever) and the dermatologist was going to send me to the ER but was afraid they'd put me on Benadryl and kill me. So back on more steroids...

Steroids do not make people feel good. I was having HUGE mood swings, and although I wasn't itchy on the outside, I was really bITCHY on the inside. About 3 days into that course I decided to see if I could take a reduced version of the steroid but within an hour I had to take it since I was breaking out in hives again. Today the Dr. said I could decrease the steroid and so far, I am ok... haven't had to use the Epi-Pen they gave me, and hoping that over night tonight I don't swell up...

This has truly been the scariest week of my life health wise. What if I were to stop breathing, how could I possibly leave my Gabs so soon after I've gotten her... just to be safe though I've been thinking about things and how to let Corey know how I have taken care of them through life insurance and setting up a future for Gabs. It sucks that this had to be what brought on my getting my act together, but at least it's getting together. With a little baby, and one as fab as Gab, we need to be sure she's taken care of.

So, hopefully this decrease on the steroid will go well, but if not, I will be back at the Dr, allergist, dermatologist, and whomever else can fix me, and keep my body going.


No comments:

Post a Comment